5 Interview Questions Investment Banking Interns HAVE TO NailOn by
Although most investment banking institutions in North America and Europe have already hired their 2013 summer months intern classes banking institutions in Australia are beginning to accept applications for their latest internship programs just, and interviews are on the way. For those thinking about an investment banking internship, here are five interview questions every prospective intern should be able to nail.
1. What likes and dislikes you most about a career in an investment bank? That is one of the most typical questions used to evaluate a candidate’s desire for and understanding of the investment bank division. You should be aware of the key skills and attributes demanded of professionals working in this area and be able to demonstrate examples of how you have these skills. Be ready to articulate why you think you are the right candidate and what characteristics you bring to the desk. Candidates need to be analytical, detail-orientated, enthusiastic, responsible, and hard-working.
The use of good examples will best illustrate this. 2. What differentiates this ongoing company from other companies you are interviewing with? This question tests to see if you have conducted research about the industry and specifically about the firm you have put on. As a starting point, visit the company website to learn as much as you can about the company, its structure, corps and divisions values. In terms of researching the industry, make a habit of regularly reading the financial press and maintaining to date with market trends and recent transactions.
The key is to show that you don’t mind spending time in and understanding of the financial world beyond what you have learned in class. Researching the firm in this manner will demonstrate to your interviewers that you have a genuine curiosity about the company, which is something that they will be looking for.
- International borrowing and lending can be viewed as a kind of international trade, but
- M: FHFA House Price Index MoM, est. 0.2%, 0 prior.3%
- Buy long-term care insurance. Now
- Inadequate Wiring and Electrical System
3. Which industry or product teams interest you and just why? There is absolutely no right or wrong response to this relevant question. The goal is to assess whether or not you have an understanding of the way the investment banking division is broken down. In general, there are industry groups and product teams. Industry teams provide industry-specific guidance and expertise, and work with the correct product teams to create ideas about potential transactions. Product teams specialize in a particular financial device and partner with the industry groups to execute a variety of transactions.
Different folks have unique reasons for joining different teams. Some may be thinking about the more product focused teams like the acquisitions and mergers team, whereas others will be more thinking about a particular industry focused team, for example mining and metals. 4. Provide an example of a predicament where you had to manage multiple competing deadlines? Were the deadlines fulfilled? Multi-tasking can be an important skill required in banking.
Your interviewers will want you to demonstrate, using true to life illustrations, times where you were necessary to carry out several tasks simultaneously and work towards multiple deadlines. Examples can be drawn out of every area – your academic work, prior work experience, as well as extra-curricular activities or voluntary work. The key shall be to describe the challenging situation, how you prioritized the various tasks, actions you required towards making sure the deadlines were met and the effect or outcome of the situation.
If you didn’t have the ability to meet all the deadlines, it is important to show what you learned from this and how you would deal with an identical situation in the future. 5. Tell me in regards to a time or a task when you confronted a crisis past due on a Friday night and there is no one you could contact for help or advice. What did you do? To succeed in investment banking, the capability to work and respond quickly to unexpected situations is essential individually.